Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pay-Per-View Cable and "The Marathon Channel"

After getting somewhat stuck on yet another SPIKE TV Star Wars marathon today, I was reminded of my idea the last time I got stuck on the very same marathon about 3 months ago. It seems like SPIKE does a Star Wars weekend about four to five times a year -- especially around Christmas, Memorial and Labor Days, and the Fourth of July. It's just something my family can't avoid when it's on TV.

Similar are the Indiana Jones marathons, Godfather marathons, and ABC Family's Harry Potter marathons. TNT runs Lord of the Rings on a consistent basis, in addition to Kill Bill.

I would pay good money for a "Marathon Channel," especially if it were on-demand and/or its content were determined by customer input or demand. What? It's time for 14 hours of Star Wars?  Starting Friday at 6 p.m., you got it.  Followed by Harry Potter, Die Hard, Indiana Jones (only Temple of Doom and Last Crusade for me, please) and closed out with a solid Rocky recap, highlighting the crucial fight moments from 1, 2, and 3, with a full-run of Rocky 4?  On second thought, I'd probably never leave the house on weekends again, which wouldn't be a good thing.

But, I do think that, with the creation of easy-to-use platforms like iTunes and Hulu and other interweb viewing services, TV networks should charge on a pay-per-view basis.  You want to subscribe to TNT for a week for something?  $5.  Lock in for a 4-month period for $10 or yearly for $15.  Or allow customers to pay $15 to watch just a season of something.  I don't need ABC for anything other than Modern Family, but I'd pay top dollar for Sportscenter and the full year of Brewers games.

Cable right now is too expensive, and still, I can't get AMC in Pulaski.  I had to purchase the entire MadMen season through iTunes for $24, on top of my $55 monthly cable bill for all the other stations, 90% of which go unwatched.

How about I give you $35, and you just get me ESPN, FSNWisconsin, FOX, ABC, TBS, TNT, NBC, and MTV Jams?

No comments:

Post a Comment