Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cool photo, Hansel.

As I've been advising the community/high school newspaper since last June, I've taught myself quite a bit about photography.  We've got one of those nice Nikon cameras with a telephoto lens that looks like a small baseball bat, which I had never used before. But, after 7 months, I feel like I'm finally getting an eye for the shutter.

This pic is from Thursday  night at the boys' Varsity basketball game.  Lately, they've been dimming the lights for the team intro and flashing these giant spotlights around, similar to a professional lineup announcement.  When the pep band is there, the drum corp lines up at half court and drums along to the intros, and it's pretty much the sweetest thing ever.

I love going to the games (whether football, basketball, anything...) because it's a chance for me to see the students outside of the classroom, and actually have some fun with them as a group.  It's just...fun.  Frankly, I don't understand why more teachers don't mingle in after-school activities. But anyway...when the kids are cheering and the pep band is also there, it's hard not to have a good time.  The regional match for boys hoops is at Pulaski next Friday, and lemme tell ya, that place will be jumpin'.

Last Thursday was a definite warm-up.  The bleachers were mostly full, the boys were amped, and the drums were loud. I love the light reflection off the gym floor and the bad ass silhouette of the drummers in the dark during the lineup announcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment