Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fantasy Friendship League: Pulaski version

In college, a good friend (we'll just call him "Dirty") introduced a great concept to me: the Fantasy Friendship League. It was a self-made list of your "starting five" friends at any given time, because the concept of having a "best friend" was beginning to seem a bit elementary. Obviously, everyone in your "starting five" were among your best friends, but the #1 or #2 starter were the friends who were really performing well at the time -- you know, like the ones who would go and buy you a pack of smokes on the way over to your house, or who would take their friend's PointCash card to get them food from Taco Bell only to find out that you were stuck at the drive-through with a zero-balance card and no cash.  (Both of those earned, or should have earned, me a #1 or #2 position at the time, Dirt.)

These days, I've barely got enough friends to fill out a "starting five" and ample bench squadron, but if I were constructing a list based solely on top 5 friends in Pulaski, I know who my #1 starter would be.  MTV Jams. That's not to say I haven't met anyone here yet. I've met a lot of great people...in fact, everyone I've met has been super friendly, helpful, and welcoming. But, I can't exactly have the superintendent of Pulaski schools and other co-workers as my starting five. Like I said...they're great, nice people, some of whom may eventually find their way into my starting five. But for now, they're co-workers and newly found acquaintences. I've always had a staunch stance on "work friends" vs. "real friends," at least since being employed by The Pointer at UW-Stevens Point. Ahem.

MTV Jams has been there for me at all hours. Like a true friend, it's not always bringing its A-game, but more often than not provides me with a great source of entertainment, a chuckle, or offering me something to think about. On Monday, in honor of the release of the new Jay-Z/Kanye West album, we were able to share in a glorious day of nothing but Jigga and Yeezy videos. There were old classics, newer additions, and plenty that I hadn't seen before.

I'd have to say that beyond the obvious greatness of every Jay-Z video ever made ('03 Bonnie & Clyde, what?!), the most ridiculous video that has capivated me is "9 Piece" by Rick Ross and Lil' Wayne. It's all there --- superfluously self-promoting lyrics, ridiculousness, tattoos, and of course...cell phones. (Warning: it's the explicit version and it's...well...explicit.)


OK, in all seriousness, here's a truly great rap video.

1 comment: